How To Get Enough Sleep At Night
Sleep is an essential part of our daily lives because it allows us to rejuvenate for the following day’s activities. Getting enough sleep at night allows us to keep our heart health. You will have a healthier heart if you can get at least 7 hours of sleep every night.
Getting enough sleep at night reduces stress and lessens the chance of depression. It energizes you to face another day of activities. If you get enough sleep at night, your memory will improve because you are resting your brain. Quality sleep time is one of the best ways to give your brain a needed boost for the next day.
If you get enough sleep at night, your body is being given a chance to heal because when you are sleeping, your body produces more protein which in turn allows your cells to repair any damages.
How can you get enough sleep at night?
- Avoid eating sugar or food that contain sugar before retiring. What happens is that in the middle of your sleep, your blood sugar might suddenly drop and wake you up, because you feel hungry.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and food that you know you are sensitive to. Although alcohol has been known to get you sleepy, it will not give you a good night’s sleep. You could wake up at the middle of the night, or worst yet, wake up in the morning with a terrible headache. If for any reason you cannot avoid drinking alcohol, drink water soon after or dilute your alcoholic drink with ice or water.
- Try not to drink anything two hours before sleeping because if you have a tendency to urinate often, you could wake up in the middle of the night because of nature’s call. On the other hand, if you do not tend to urinate often, you will definitely be forced to get out of bed early in the morning.
- A hot bath is a good precursor to a good night’s sleep. Getting enough sleep at night will definitely be more possible if you have a chance to relax under a hot shower. Just try not to sleep with your hair wet because that would not be good for your hair at all.
- Getting enough sleep at night would be a lot easier if your room is set up properly. Why not leave the TV outside, have a choice of bright and dim lights, and set up your room in a way that you know will relax you.
- You could also get enough sleep at night by dressing appropriately. If you know that your room temperature has a tendency to drop, make sure you are wearing the right clothes and have enough warm blankets at arm’s reach Socks are also a good idea because we tend to get cold feet faster than any other part of our body.
- If reading or writing relaxes you, then have a good, easy reading, non-violent book by your bedside. You could also place your journal beside your bed to jot down any last minute thoughts running through your mind.
Getting enough sleep at night is possible only if you allow your body and brain to relax before going to bed. An active mind will just keep you up at night. An extremely tired body, on the other hand, will need some time to settle down. Plan you sleeping time and the hours before you go to sleep well, and you will get enough sleep for the night.